Juniper Bank Credit card - Juniper/Barclays Bank of Delaware Credit Card

Issue not resolved
Aug 19, 2009
review #155465

I have a Juniper/Barclays credit card and I have a balance on mine. I never missed a payment or paid late or purchased over my limit.

I miscalculate the interest accrual and went over my limit by not even $10.00. They increased my rate to a ridiculous 24.24%.

I contacted them in July 2009 due to this issue.

They credited my account for the increase in the APR for the month and told me they put my interest rate back to my original 8.99%. I thought it was finished until I got my online statement for August 2009 showing again the ridiculous 24.24%.

When I contacted them they stated that they would not change my interest rate and that it did not show in their system, but when I showed them the credits from July and information provided to me in July the Barclays customer service told me they would not do anything and I was stuck with the ridiculous APR.

I am paying off the card and passing on to everyone to BOYCOTT the Juniper/Barclays Bank of Delaware Company due to Lies, Unreasonable, and Terrible Customer Relations.

be921c4
Had an experience with Juniper Bank Credit card?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Al

Aug 05

We had a similar problem with Juniper/Barclays Bank. Our card had several small fraudalent charges on it in Feb.2014. We immediately called and were told they would be removed and no late fees applied while process takes place. It is now 6 mos, 8 phone calls,(each time assured that the person on phone had the authority to make the necessary adjustments) more late fees later and nothing has been done. On top of that we continue to receive Barclay AND Juniper statements which have the same chgs. Everyone we talk with assures us the account will DEFINITELY be adjusted immediately. Needless to say, their customer service is all talk and no action. This a nightmare...one hand doesn't know what the other hand does....customer service is appallingly bad.

Angry at Juniper in NYC

Aug 07, 2013 Bronx, New York

I too am a victim of the JUNIPER SCAM. I've had Juniper since 2006. I was given a 8.99% interest. I paid my bill on the last day of the month it was due but I paid it at 7:30PM (EASTERN STANDARD TIME). They charged me a LATE FEE of $35.00 and moved my interest rate to 24.99%. I called them up screaming and they said something along the lines of "I had until 7PM that day to make the payment." I asked for a one time waiver, they said NO and KEPT MY INTEREST AT 24.99% EVER SINCE! I'm stuck between I have had Juniper since 2006 and do not want to CLOSE the account b/c then I'd be shooting myself in the foot with my credit history. On the other hand, JUNIPER IS A TOTAL RIP OFF and will NEVER KEEP A BALANCE ON THE CARD AGAIN! To keep the account open, I put a $10.00 purchase every few months and IMMEDIATELY pay it off. BUYER BEWARE! PLEASE LISTEN TO WHAT I AND EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING.... JUNIPER IS A RIPOFF!!!!

Careful shopper

Apr 13, 2013 Peoria, Illinois

I was considering opening an account at Barclays Bank. After reading the review by the Credit card customer, I've definitely changed my mind. I refuse to do business with companies who do this kind of thing. Jumping the interest rate on a Credit card from 8.0+ to 24,0+ is terrible.

THANK YOU for posting this Bank's unfair practices!!!!!

JC from NY

Feb 23, 2011

I was asked to apply for the card by my son in law who needed to get an iPad for school. I never gave him the card or any of the information and destroyed the card. The card was also never activated. He however being very computer literate went on line, activated the card, and used it to the tune of 8grand. I only found out when he was late making a payment. So no only is he over the limit and late but he had an outrageous bill to pay and a huge interest rate. I'm saved since I reported it as fraudulant card use. I have never even seen a bill but the Bank waited until January to contact me. Its their fault too for activating the card on-line. So they either pay off the card or go to jail for credit card fraud.

I can't believe he would do this to me. I'm beside myself. I'm retiring so I don't need this albatross around my neck. All the crab he drove the balance up was bought via PayPal. Well, its now a dead card. I cancelled it. If you have open cards with no balance and don't intend to use them, close them or this could happen to you.

drs1127

Aug 30, 2010

Barclays took over the US Airways Dividend Miles Master Card from Bank of America, my interest went from 9% to 24.9% for no reason. They told me if I paid for six months they would bring it back down to 9%. It has been over nine months and I have never been late for over five years. I called to get it lowed, and was advised they would only go to 21.9%. This was a slap in my face. So much for the government getting the bailed out credit company under control. I will not use US Airline or this card. "DO NOT APPLY FOR US AIRAYS DIVIDEND MILES MASTER CARD". :(

aordwaya

Jul 01, 2010

Please go and check out their standing with the BBB of Delaware. They have an A+ rating with them. I find that VERY hard to believe after researching this company's violations of consumer protection laws. I did this because they called my work 3 times in a 6 week period AFTER being told in writting not to call me there twice! I think most people go to the FTC and Delaware Attorney Generals to file on CC companies. Not the BBB, but should start going there too.

Green Is Good

Apr 21, 2010

They screwed me over, to. Instead of 8.99% at the end of the 0% grace period,they raised it to nearlyTWENTY-FIVE PERCENT! :(

Mimi

Feb 08, 2010

I too have been shafted by this CC company. They charged a 79.00 annual fee, and when i protested, they lowered it to $49.00. I asjed what my total balance was and sent them a payment for the total. i was then hit with a finance charge for not paying in full. I tried to call and speak with someone, but was sent to India, where I was cut off three times and finally called to cancel the card. They don't care! We bail these greedy jerks out of trouble and they outsource all customer service to another country! It is despicable how there is no recourse for the consumer and banks are allowed to gouge their customers with impunity.

Mr Cowboy Hat

Jan 31, 2010

I have a Seamiles credit card from Juniper/Barkley Bank. I bought the Account Protection Plan, on my account to protect me if I am injured or Disabled. I became 100% Disabled in April 2009. I am getting a big run around from them. 1. I have to summit a form from my Doctor every month. (Even though I summited my Social Security Award letter Stating that I am 100% disabled.) This costs me $30.00 a month to have a doctor fill out a form with the same information over & over.
2. Then I have a problem with the bank itself. Every month they summit a amount owed at around $95.00. of which $60.00 is taken for interest. Which means my principle goes down about $40.00 a month. At this rate they will only be paying off a few hundred dollars after 24 months. My Balance is only $3600.00, the bank will be making about $1440.00 in interest. I received a letter telling me that if you are 100% disabled that they will pay off all up to $10,000.00. When I called about I was told I didn't quailify. The bank is getting rich and I will still have to pay around $3000.00. You do everything to protect yourself and you still dumped on.

VeryUnhappyCustomer

Dec 17, 2009

I've had this card for 18months and have NEVER ever been late on a payment, and do use the online form for payment.

The payment posts at 7pm that day and on the next day an email arrives that the payment was posted to your account.

I went to make a purchase and found out that there was hardly any credit available! They charge a $79 annual fee - the card does have airline points, but to keep the entire payment as what I regard "hostage" for up to 10 days is ludicrous!

I spoke with at least 5 different people including supervisors and one told me that it would take 24-48 hrs, while the last said 10 days. Then she threatened to CLOSE my account.

This Bank definitely is one to stay away from and alert your friends to do the same.

Michele from Florida

Dec 14, 2009

I am also experiencing the same problem. Back in March of 2009 I closed and canceled my account due to increases of interest rates. I went from 9.9% after a one day late payment to 24.9%. that was over a year ago. Now this past November I was 4 days late. due to an online payment, was due on the 10th I did my transaction on the 11th and it did not post to my account till the 14th. They sent me a letter of the late payment fee of 39.00 plus my interest rate will be raised in Feb 2010 to over 30% and if I wish to opt out I need to contact them before Jan. I phoned and faxed them the letter and said that my account was closed & canceled in march 2009 and that they cant due this. They didn't even care to listen. They already applied the rate increase the next day. My statement hasn't even come yet. it is already showing the rate of over 30%. Its only December 14th, 2009. I sent e-mails and told them I was contacting Consumer Affairs, my Congressman, the TV news, & the FTC to complain.
DON'T DUE BUSINESS WITH THEM. THEY ARE LAIRS AND THIEVES.

Shafted but complained to FTC

Dec 12, 2009

Like the rest of you, I've been bumped up to 24.99%. Only difference is, I never got the notice they say they sent. It wasn't on my statements, either. I told them I never got it, and of course they said they didn't care, they wouldn't lower it.

SO I filed a complaint with the FTC and I encourage all of you to do the same! Go to ftc (dot) gov

nancy from calif

Nov 21, 2009

customer service is terrible , first I was receiving bills under Juniper,
then Barclays. Bought a Mac. Am making payments. Did it over
the phone the one time I called at 9:00 they did not credit my account till 3days later said that I had called in to late. No where
on the statement does it say you have to call in 7:00 East time,
so since I called in late it said that I had pay almost $35.00 in late
payments, since I was being posted at 12:02 Eastern time. That
would mean I would have to call in at 4:00 pacific time. This account has been a mess from the start. I will not ever go through this Bank ever again!!!!! 35.00 for being hours late not
days and their Customer Service Managers are a JOKE!!!
I'm a customer service rep and I'm not a manager and my ratings
from clients are much higher than this *** that I talked to on the
phone.

KF from California

Nov 10, 2009

I paid my balance in full in Nov 2008 and had a $2500 credit limit. I always paid on time and was late on a payment. Yesterday, I received a letter that they closed my account due to inactivity and "serious" delinquency reported on TransUnion which I don't have. I'm glad they closed my account. They just lost a good customer FOREVER!

tamayopc

Sep 11, 2009

You're right, this is another credit card company that really screws up its costumers.
I'm glad I'm paying off my balance and I'm cancelling this card. You should do the same.
Good luck.

juniper/barclays interest rate

Sep 11, 2009

I also got the same notice of increase from 8.99 to 24%. I think they are doing it to everyone. The credit card companies want to make as much money as possible before the new consumer protection regulations kick in in a few months.

JO from Arkansas

Sep 11, 2009

I too have experienced the same treatment from this credit card company. My interest rate went from 8.99% for the first year to 11.99% for the last year and a half to a whopping 26.24% on my August bill... more than DOUBLE!! Thank GOD our balance is not very much as I intend to pay this card off and then ONLY use it to make purchases that I can pay in full well before their little 23 to 25 day payment window. I have no intention of closing out this acct. as I want the credit limit that I have with them listed in my credit report. Losing that "available" credit line will hurt your FICO score, in effect hurting you again. I also called their CS support about this outrage and got the same BS as the rest of you ..."it's due to the economy". Well I disagree, I believe that it is GREED on the part of the banks pure and simple.

kc from south carolina

Sep 08, 2009

I too have kept a low balance, paid way more than the minimum, never been late and guess what? I just recieved my letter informing me of my increased APR same as RM from Dallas. Oh well, another card bites the dust!!

RM from Dallas

Sep 04, 2009

We had a similar experience except were never late and kept a low balance. In appreciation for our business, I just received a letter informing us of a rate increase from around 9% to OVER 30%! We are paying off the balance and closing both accounts. Do not fall for their low introductory offer. When I called to inquire, they said it was due to the economy & there was nothing I could do. Wow - what awful service.

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.